Dr Tahir-ul-Qadri achieved nothing from the Long March.
Those who may be wondering what Dr. Tahir-ul-Qadri achieved from the Long March and the agreement with the Government in its current status. First, it needs to be clarified that Dr. Tahir-ul-Qadri never intended or claimed that he would bring a revolution overnight or in a few weeks. Besides, revolutions do not occur in a matter of few weeks. There needs to be a consistent struggle. In fact, just the agreement was not meant to bring about a revolution; it was to be the beginning of a positive change. The main purpose of current struggle had been to bring about awareness in general public and to initiate a process of positive change. Here are a few things what Dr. Qadri achieved from current struggle:
- People are now fully aware about articles 62, 63 of the constitution whereas very few knew about it before. Now, people know what to expect from the candidates and hence they would demand that election commission scrutinize the candidates properly.
- People are now aware that constitution itself requires a Government to provide basic necessities to the public and it is not a favor by any political party rather, it is their duty.
- People are now aware that election commission was not formed per constitution and consists of members who are biased. Other honest politicians have also started talking about it.
- Govt. agreed to implement Sections 77 to 82 of the Representation of Peoples’ Act 1976 and other relevant provisions relating to conducting free, fair, just and honest elections guarding against all corrupt practices. Not many in the public were aware of this before.
- Govt. agreed to implement Supreme Court Judgment of June 8, 2012 on constitutional petition of 2011 in Toto and in true letter and spirit. Before this no one was even aware of this.
- Scrutiny period has been increased to 14 days. This is again the beginning of a big change. Now at least Government agreed to make this law; if Dr. Qadri had not shown flexibility, Government may have totally ignored it.
- The four day peaceful protest by hundreds of thousands of people demonstrated to the world that the people of Pakistan are very organized and peaceful.
- People learnt how to do a successful peaceful protest; prior to this there was no concept of such huge peaceful, yet successful protest in Pakistan.
- A huge gathering on 23 Dec and then a peaceful long march demonstrated to everyone in Pakistan that people wanted change and that they can come out on the streets to demand it.
- The four day consistent sit-in and patience of hundreds of thousands of people was highlighted by international media and sent a strong message to the world. With this, the politicians are now aware that such protests could occur again too if they did not perform their duty well.
- People are now aware that certain big changes need to occur at our highest courts as well; previously people had thought of some of them as heroes.
This news shows one of the positive results of the long march: http://www.thenews.com.pk/Todays-News-13-20949-ECP-plans-to-keep-tax-bank-defaulters-out-of-polls
There are other such achievements too and overall impact of all these will be huge in the long run insha Allah.